19.7.10

1 Minute in the Elevator With Me

Take the Problogger Challenge with SITS and BlogFrog So let's say you and I are in the elevator together, going up to the top floor or whatever. Don't get excited, this is not that kind of game (you know, where you say who you'd "hook up" with if you were stuck in an elevator with them... what I'm the only one whose mind went there? Whatever.). Anyway, so you and I are on the elevator and I have about a minute (or however long it takes to get to the top floor of wherever we are) to pitch my product (a.k.a. this blog) to you! What would I say to get you hooked? To have you leaving that elevator getting on your iPhone to look up my blog...

This is a challenge that was presented to me by ProBloggers 31 Days To Build A Better Blog Challenge, which I (along with 400 other women bloggers!) am participating in through SITS. One of the first things I did to start the challenge was to check out my stats, and thanks to Lynda, I put them in a spread sheet so I can track the progress throughout the 31 days! If inquiring minds want to know, here's a picture of the spreadsheet. My stats are not at all glamorous but I am just happy to have any and not all 0's across the board! ha! (Thanks bubbleboo for helping me figure out how to do this!)



Next, since I knew where I stood statistically (that is not an easy word to say!), I could get to work on Task 1: Create an Elevator Pitch and a Tagline for your blog. 

This sounds easy enough, but when you think about what your blog has to offer other people, it gets a little fuzzy. It did for me, at least. After careful consideration (and some help from my new twitter friends), I came up with a tagline:
Just a college and sorority girl, trying to find the woman in me and living to blog about it. 

It's not perfect, but I used some of the words from my header, which yes, are not my words, they are Britney Spears', but I wanted to incorporate the fact that I am at the in between stage in life, and that is what my blog is all about (or at least pretty much).

Next, I had to come up with my elevator pitch, to make you want to read my blog after we talked in the elevator (assuming that people actually talk in the elevator. Have you noticed that a conversation almost never takes place between strangers in an elevator? just saying). The elevator pitch would presumably go on your About Me page (which is coming one of these days), so people can understand what you're blog is all about. It's a work in progress, but here's what I came up with:

Short pitch: College girl wandering her way through her 20's and blogging every step of the way.

Longer pitch (assuming I got your attention with the short one, and you want to know more): College girl wandering her way through her 20's, and blogging all the moments of life including sorority life, a sister with cancer and everything else that comes along. It will make you laugh and it will make you cry, but come along for the ride as this girl looks to find the woman in her and leave behind the girl. 

So what do you think?! You can be totally honest! I know it's not perfect, but I think it's a start, and hopefully throughout these 31 days as I learn more about my blog and blogging in general, I will continue to tweak it until it's perfect! 

Make sure you check out all the other amazing bloggers participating in the challenge, and get ready for more blog bettering over here! (That's a word, ok!)

Pin It

15 comments:

alexis @ bloomed in june said...

i actually really like it! it totally sums up the blog! and if this is only "a start", then i can't wait to hear your final pitch!

Maureen said...

Yes, I agree with Bloomedinjune, it's perfect and catchy! One thing on your full elevator pitch I saw double "that", it's probably a typo but I really like the whole pitch :)

Johanna said...

I love it!! Not many girls in college are thinking about writing about their experiences and are such great writers.

Cheryl D. said...

I'm visiting as part of the blog hop with the 31DBBB. I think you did an excellent job!

bubbleboo said...

I like your pitch, and I think it really sums up the feel of your blog. Good job!

Oh, and thanks so much for the mention! :D

Homemom3 said...

I love it, but with the last sentence maybe you could say...."leaving the girl behind."

http://homemom3.com

Unknown said...

You did a great job summing it up! I got the "feel" of your blog from both the short and the long pitches.
Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Very nice pitch! You have a strong direction and place to go with your blog. I think it fits well!

Take care!!
Dee

Kelly said...

Great job! Looking forward to reading more...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!

Alyssa said...

now i know what on earth you are going on about on twitter :)

Peek at My Paper said...

Hi Patrice - Very Nice. I like the title of your blog - I knew right away what your blog was about, just from your title. But I do like your Elevator Pitch as well. Both the short and Long.
Thanks for stopping by Peek at My Paper and Linking-Up! Good Luck with the rest of the 31DBBB Challenges.
brenda

Cameron said...

I really like your pitch! It definitely got me interested in reading more! And I love that Britney Spears song!! Britney Spears is my guilty pleasure.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I'm a new follower of yours!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrice! I'm a fellow 31DBB participant and I really like your blog. Believe it or not, one of my best friends is named Patrice, too (but we call her Trish). I went to school in Dallas at SMU- so we have a bit in common? :-) I hope you get as much out of the challenge as I do. I think your elevator pitch sounds great- that was a hard one for me. Happy blogging!

SuzRocks said...

Good work! I've still not come up with my elevator pitch...I'm a slacker.

Cynthia said...

I think your elevator pitch is great. Makes me want to read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails