18.5.09

Something Unpredictable That In the End is Right...

When I was searching for the right words to sum up my freshman year of college, this song ("Good Riddance" by Green Day) all of the sudden popped in my head. This quote from the song was on our sorority Bid Day shirts a few years back (one of the seniors "willed" me theirs this year since they were graduating), they said "It's something unpredictable, that in the end is right... I hope you have the time of your life!". The more I thought about this, the more I realized Green Day summed it up perfectly for me. These words describe my freshman year of college better than any words I could write myself. Something unpredictable? Definitely true. I was going to a school where I didn't know anyone, and halfway across the country for that matter. I didn't even know anyone in the state! I had no idea how it would turn out. Would I make friends? Would I like being so far from home? There was so much unknown, so much that was unpredictable. However, like the song says... In the end it's right. This definitely rings true for me. I couldn't have asked for a better college experience (except maybe academically but that's on me & it's not what this post is about!), and for that I am so grateful. I have met some of my best friends this year. I have learned a lot about being on my own and about myself in general. I really believe this year changed my life for the better, and I'm sure it can only get better from here. The crazy thing is how fast it went by. It feels like just yesterday I was unsure of what the future holds. It feels like yesterday my mom was crying saying goodbye to me as they were leaving me at school. Everyone told me freshman year was the worst year. "You'll be so homesick." "School is hard; they try to weed out the less serious ones" I was homesick maybe once or twice, and it was mostly when I was sick and wanted my mom. One quote I found (on a bumper sticker on facebook, no less) comes to mind: "You leave your family to go to college, and then you leave your family to go home." This is so true, while I left my family at home & went to college on my own, I created a new family. Made up of fantastic friends and amazing people, and for that I am so blessed. It's not to say that it was all roses and rainbows. I have had my share of ups and downs this year, for sure. But overall, I had a great year, and I miss it already! Like the song says, It's something unpredictable, that in the end is right... I hope you had the time of your life. I am lucky enough to say I had the time of my life, and in the end it was definitely right!

Pin It

17 comments:

Mandy said...

That song came out in 1997-98, my senior year at Clemson. I felt (feel) the same way as you about that song. It totally sums up the incredible experience I had in college. Be glad it's only your freshman year that is over...you still have 3 more to go. One day you will be sitting here 11 years out of college with memories that are so fresh, it only feels like 1. *sigh*

Cammie said...

Once you are all graduated and look back on your college years....you wont believe all of the changes you will go through....you will come out of college a totally different person than you were when you got there, they will most likely be some of the best years of your life....the friendships, and sisterhood...will last forever!!

Unknown said...

I was told exactly the same thing about being a first year that is scared me. They were wrong and yo totally proved that in this post :)

Here's to your next year bringing more joy and blessings :) xoxox.

Unknown said...

What a great post Patrice! As I was reading it I had memories of my Freshman year and some similar experiences. I'm glad you had a great year. Funny, I think that song came out the year I graduated from college! HA!

sues2u2 said...

Sounds like you have grown so much. Good for you! Enjoy all of this time. It does indeed go by ever so fast & one day you'll have been married for 18 yrs & wondering where the time went! ha,ha

Have a safe (as you can!) summer.

Megan said...

Soak up every minute--the good and the bad--it'll be gone before you know it!

Katie said...

awww yea! I love that you love college so much! And just think you have 3 possibly 4 more years of greatness. Live it up because as quickly as the first one flew by rest of them do too :( Yea for college life!

Cassie said...

That bumper sticker quote is so true. I too went to a school that none of my friends were going to. At the time I was a little tempted to just go to the college they were going to so that I would know people. I'm so glad I didn't. Of course I'm still friends with a lot of them, and freshman year WAS hard in many ways, but I made some of the best friends of my life in college. I wouldn't trade knowing them for anything in the world.

Susan said...

My freshman year of college was filled with so many memories....... I can't believe it's been so long since my freshman year.... it seems like yesterday!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Yeah, that was the end of high school for me.

Savor these years because you never get them back...and then it's the real world!

Thousif Raza said...

gr8 post as usual,

hope you have plenty of fun, as i have told in my blog, you are best at what you do, so dont give a damn and live your life to the fullest patrice :)



take care and keep writing.......

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Way to make it through the toughest year! No more a freshman - yay! Yeah, that Green Day song seemed to have pegged it perfectly for you. Hope you have a great summer before taking a crack at your sophomore year.

(came over from SITS - you commented somewhere above me)

- Margaret

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Awww-you are so cute.
Im glad that your 1st year was great, and not only have you made many friends there look at all you have made here too.

Kelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laural Out Loud said...

Freshman year was the most life changing year of my life. I think I grew more that year than my whole 18 prior years combined. But it will get even better! I'm so glad you are having such a great experience.

WhiteSockGirl aka The Fabulous Bitch said...

Awwe! Brought back some sweet memories about uni back...

Love the post.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Dorm Bedding said...

Gosh, it really takes guts to go to school so far away from home & where you don't know anyone :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails