11.4.11

Make A Wish Monday: 4th Edition!

I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on this new addition to my blog, so I was hoping you all could answer my poll for me on my facebook page about "Make A Wish Monday". Comments are almost non-existent on these posts so I'm wondering if you're bored, or just don't know what to say. Please let me know (or just leave a comment here if you're not on facebook)

This weeks Make A Wish Story is all about the first ever wish! Last week, I told you about Christopher, who inspired the Make-A-Wish Foundation with his wish to become a police officer. Today, we learn about Frank "Bopsy" who was the very first wish kid! Bopsy was a 7 year old boy with leukemia and his dream was to be a firefighter.

The wish granting team got together with the Phoneix Fire Department to help Bopsy fufill this wish. The fire department made him his very own uniform, complete with a helmet and everything. They also brought him out to the fire station so he could join their ladder engine. The crew let him honk the horn and even use the 75 pound hose to soak some cars. At the end of the day, the firefighters pinned his official fire fighter's badge on his uniform, making Bopsy the city's first honorary firefighter.



Bopsy putting his new firefighting skills to work! (The website had small, hard to see pictures. Sorry for the bad quality)
Bopsy's wish journey was for from over, however. The media picked up Bopsy's story, and suddenly there was on out pour of people who wanted to help lift this little boys spirits. A generous couple, Bob and Chris Pearce, owned and piloted hot air balloons so they took Bopsy on a hot air balloon ride to see Phoenix from the sky!
Then, it got even better! Disneyland created a special day just for Bopsy complete with private tours, meals, gifts and more. This began the relationship with Disney and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Today, Disney is still one Make-A-Wish's biggest supporters.


Bopsy  and Goofy
 Bopsy had to go back to the hospital after his trip to Disney, but there was one last surprise for him. Five of his fellow firefighters had climbed up to his 3rd floor window using their truck ladder to come spend time with Bopsy. He shared laughs and fun with them before they left and he went back to sleep. That night, Bopsy passed away, but thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, he died happier than ever.

Don't forget that World Wish Day is April 29. This would be a great day to support the Make-A-Wish Foundation with a donation or by spreading the word about their work.

*All images and content came from the Make-A-Wish Foundation website.*

I don't know if I even need to say this, but I volunteered to write about the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I am in no way being compensated or getting special recognition for this. I just fully support their mission and am doing my part by spreading the word.

Pin It

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails