14.4.11

Grown Up... Who Me?

There are approximately 20 days (give or take) left in my junior year of college. That means in approximately 20 days, I will be a senior in college. Where did the time go?!?! I feel like it was just yesterday I was blogging about my first day here! Anyway, due to this and a few other things that have come up lately, I have become aware of my *ahem* impending status... as a grown up.


Last week in our weekly sorority chapter meeting, our advisor asked all of the juniors to stand up. We did so, thinking we did something awesome and we were going to be bragged about or something. "Look around," she told everyone. We did. "In 20 days, you all will be the seniors of this chapter," she announced as we looked at each other in pretty much disbelief. We were all thinking how did we become the seniors? Weren't we just little freshman getting guided by the seniors? It was a wake up call, to say the least.

We all technically knew we were becoming the seniors soon; we had watched 2 classes of our friends graduate and leave, and we are quickly approaching graduation time where more of our friends will move on with their lives. It's only logical that we are next. But we didn't want to believe it. Didn't want to think that we were so close to having to be grown ups. 

Later in the week, I got an odd phone call. I didn't recognize the number, but I picked up anyway. Turns out it was the dentists office calling to see if I wanted to schedule my next cleaning because I was overdue for one. "That's weird," I told my mom later, recounting the conversation, "Why did they call me and not you?" "Maybe," she told me, "because you're 21 and you're a big girl now." Shoot. I guess I am.

All the sudden, it's all becoming clear to me. I am a grown up. Or at least almost a grown up. A year from now, I will be approaching graduation. From college. And moving home or wherever life takes me. Looking for a job. Being a real life grown up. So technically I have a year before I'm actually a grown up but lately it sure does feel like it's approaching fast. I am becoming more and more of a grown up everyday, whether I'm ready or not!



I am linking up at Mama Kat's Writers Workshop. I used the prompt "The moment I realized I was a grown up."

Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's the little moments like a dentist's appointment when it really hits you rather than the huge events. I know it was for me. And still is - juggling all the details of life is when I realize anew that I'm a "grown-up."

Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

Audreya said...

The comment ahead of me is so accurate! I've graduated, gotten married, bought a house, been promoted into a "career" - not just a job... and yet it's the times when you spend your lunch hour on hold trying to get something straightened out with your insurance or when you have to take your car to the mechanic that are the "Wow - this is what adults do" moments.

But then it's the times when something makes you laugh so hard you can't breathe and things like that that make you realize how true the saying is "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Life As Wife said...

Enjoy your collegiate time! As a fellow sorority woman myself, I remember that chapter meeting when I realized I was going to be one of the seniors. Before you know it, you will be an alumnae!

Related Posts with Thumbnails