10.10.08

Extreme Makeover: Sorority House Room Edition

So, I have a problem with cleaning. It's not like I'm not capable of doing it. I can.. I'm just lazy. At the end of the day, when I take off my jeans and put on my sweats to get more comfortable, I don't feel like putting them in the drawer where they go. So, I just throw them on the floor, and tell myself I'll put it away later. Then, the pattern continues. Pretty soon, it's out of control. All the sudden I can't find my jeans when I need them, I think I lost my only nice pair, I can't find that shirt I really wanted to wear. All the sudden I haven't taken out the trash in like a month, and my desk? Oh, my desk.. well papers just get thrown in there in no particular order, and you can forget about actually using it... don't believe me? Allow me to show you... Even my bed was being taken over by shoes, books, clothes, towels (yes, wet towels from my shower earlier) you name it... Oh and of course my laptop is on my bed since there's obviously nowhere to put it on my desk! See, told you! It was out of control. Anyway, this weekend is Family weekend and Autumn at the woods. Which means that prospective students are coming to stay with us for a night, and parents will be visiting as well. So with some bribing and threatening by my sisters, I decided that it was time for an extreme makeover. I worked hard to make it look pretty. I wanted to show everyone I really can be clean, I just have trouble sometimes keeping it that way. Well, if I do say so myself, it was a success! I slaved for days hours in the room, and got it together. Allow me to show off my results... I knew there was a desk under all those papers! And wow, all my clothes are actually hanging up and not on=the floor! Look, see?? A floor!!! I knew it was there somewhere.. Ok, so it was a really lame attempt at making the bed, but I'll fix it eventually. And my laptop is still on my bed, but that's just because my bed is a much more comfortable place to blog study than my desk! So far it has stayed clean for 2 whole days! I plan on keeping it this way as long as possible. And the best part? I am now taking off my clothes at night, and putting them in the drawer! Who knew I could do that? Not me, and definitely not my room mate! So I'd say it was a successful makeover, the response around here has been pretty positive, what do you say?

Pin It

20 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

From one Mess Monger to another...good job, girl.;-) (I found you at McMommy's POW.)

The thing that helped me THE MOST was working as a missionary in Hong Kong. My first apartment was approximately 100 square feet, shared with three other girls. Living space was at a premium and if things weren't put away, there was simply no way to LIVE.

I'm still a slob, but...it's much better than it used to be. :-)

Unknown said...

LOVE your clean room, hon! Isn't it like a huge relief/breath of fresh air when you tackle a project and complete it?!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I have the same exact cleaning problem so I totally understand where you're coming from with this. :P The funny thing is now that I have my own apartment (bedroom aside) I'm almost the exact opposite of myself - no shared living space can be a disaster for longer than a day (when the toddler is busy making his own messes).

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Your room looks great! I am a bit of a neat freak and my sisters aren't...when my youngest sister went off to college she would email me pictures of her room everytime she cleaned it...it was pretty funny!

Good Job!

Stephanie said...

ohh I hate cleaning.

When I lived in the sorority house, we had hired help to clean. It made my life so much easier. ALl I had to do was pick up.

A Belle and her Beau said...

oh girl my room at the house used to look JUST like that ... but now I am married with my own house and it still looks like that. haha. some things never change :)

Honey Mommy said...

Seriously, that is amazing!

Susan said...

I think we've all been slobs before... I used to be then when I stayed at home I got used to a clean house, now I constanly fight against two slobs in the house and me- trying to keep it clean!

The Del Gatto's said...

Been there, done that. Okay I'm still kind of there. It's just so much easier not to clean than to clean. You should see how I feel about laundry! I just posted about it on my mommy blog last night! At least you made the effort and got it done!

Aracely said...

That took ONE day to clean ;). Well done.

Laura Marchant said...

I am new to your blog today and you made me giggle out loud!
I was totally like this before I had a husband and kids. My room would maybe stay clean and neat for 5 days. Now I no more than turn around and my house looks like this :-)

Jenny said...

Wow Patrice! What a makeover! I definitely could not function in that room that is for sure. Looks like you made a great attempt at keeping it clean...hope it stays that way.
Have a great weekend with the fam!

Simply Shannon said...

Wanna come do my house?

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Progress...definitely progress!

Tenakim said...

Way to go- cleanliness is next to godliness! Doesn't it feel great, for now, until it gets messy again in about a week or so?

Laural Out Loud said...

I was thinking, oh, that's not so bad. It's not like she has a roommate or anything. Then I ate my words at the end of your post, lol. But at least you got it clean!

I do have a secret. I LOVE to organize, but the only way to really do a proper job is to let things get messy. So sometimes I let a room go just so I can enjoy the organizing that comes with cleaning up.

Joy said...

Ahhh! I am a neat freak. My mouth dropped at the pics. But you did an awesome job cleaning it up!!!

Heidi said...

Good work! Now you make me feel like such a slacker. I did however clean out 2 drawers yesterday, does that count?

The Via Colony said...

I just found your blog. Way to go on the clean room for 2 whole days!!! I can't seem to keep my house straight for more than an hour or so!

Dee said...

WOW!! Great job! It look REALLY good! Is it still clean? I should probably get some inspiration and motivation from this, huh? NOPE! My the rest of my house is clean, but OUR ROOM? HAHAHA!! My hubby get sick of walking over my clothes and other randomness....BUT i like it that way! LOL! BUT occasionally I DO clean it all up....

Related Posts with Thumbnails