22.8.08

If I were a Freshman....

I'd like to say I offered to guest post for Patrice because I'm just a really nice person like that. But the real reason I offered is so that I could pretend I was a new freshman in college, even if just for 15 minutes of blogging. So for now, I'll block out the "Bob the Builder" songs blaring in the background. I'll pretend there's no Cheerio mess in the kitchen waiting for me to clean. I'll fantasize that cute frat guys are carrying my bags up to my room. Hmm... I could get into this. Let's see. ***Cue fog and dream-like harp music*** So this morning, I slept in til 10am. I mean, I woke up at 8 for class, but decided to just skip it for some sleep. Because, you know, I'm single, have no children and can do things like that. (No skipping class, Patrice!) So then my roommate and I decided to go out for some coffee. We sat and drank coffee for an hour! We just chatted and got to know each other. We didn't even have to tell any children to stop screaming. We didn't have to change diapers. We just did our own thing. But there was this one mom with her kids there. They were all screaming and running around. When I have kids, I'll never let them act like that! So later on, we hit a few classes. My sole job on this earth right now is to learn. How fun is that? And with only 15 credit hours, I'm in class a mere 15 hours a week. How lucky am I? I'm only obligated to be somewhere 15 hours out of every week. The rest of my time is MINE. I might study, I might not. I might hang out with friends or go to parties. But I get to make the decision. So then we went to the cafeteria and got lunch. It was so amazing! (Hey, if I'm dreaming, I might as well make this good!) I didn't have to cook or prepare anything for me or for anyone else. It's all there waiting for me. And I'm determined not to gain that freshman fifteen.... My day ended with a few sorority rush parties, hanging out with people on my hall, and just having fun being eighteen. And then there's those cute frat guys.... Must attend to those.... Okay, I'm back. Well, it was fun while it lasted. And to be honest, college was fun while it lasted. Being single was great. Enjoy every bit of it, Patrice! But for the rest of us mommies, think of how good we have it too. There's always a baby around to hug and kiss. Always a husband to joke with. Always a house full of mess from a day full of LIFE. I don't have the rest of my life in front of me anymore; I have the rest of my families' lives ahead of me. I can't wait to see what they bring! It might be hard work, but I wouldn't trade it in again for even a year full of cute frat boys and the freedom of being eighteen. Thanks for letting me guest post, Patrice, and for helping me appreciate all that my life holds. I hope you do the same!

- Rachel @ American Mum

Pin It

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay you win the Best Guest Post of the Week Award - and that's saying something, cause me post? It was riveting. You know it's true. :P

Your dream sounded heavenly, although only half as good as college was for me to be fair - although I worked through college, so I suppose my only real complaint was a lack of all that "free time" - although I had a lot more free time then than I do now regardless....

And the frat boys were nice, too, even if I didn't date any of them. I've always been that weird girl who wanted to date the CS and Poly Sci majors. ;)

Patrice said...

lol! GREAT JOB Rachel! I loved it! I'm so impressed! haha and Wow. You like explained my day perfectly! Except, you made it sound better! haha Thanks so much for posting for me... awesome job!

Carol said...

Great post! Loved it.

Oh I miss those days of having class at 8 but sleeping in til 10 regardless.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Everything you said was soooo true! College was fun...but so is growing up and getting married and being a mommy!

But, you had to rub it in with that sleeping in business didn't you?

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Oh...to be back in college...I remember thinking that my life was so busy back then! I guess it was but it was full of fun stuff most of the time and friends were always around!

Tyne said...

Great post, Rachel... Hope you have a good weekend.

McMommy said...

HAHAHA!!!! Great post, Rachel!!! You totally brought me back!

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

i totally loved this post, and i didn't realize it was a guest post til the very end. I thought you were seriously writing all that ha!

i still don't have kids, but i feel like i do! and i remember what it felt like to be a freshman, and what rachel said isn't too far off! enjoy this time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails